Friday, January 20, 2012

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2012) Review


I really enjoyed the Swedish film 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' which this take is based upon, though ultimately it all comes back to Steig Larsson's book. The original was only  released in 2009 and although I was highly interested in this film because it was being Directed by David Fincher, I still felt it was to soon.

Although I do believe each and every film even if it is a remake deserves to stand on its own, here being so close to the original it really is quite hard no to compare the two at all.

Noomi Rapace played the original Lisbeth Salander and she played it very stern and something of a one sided character. Rooney Mara plays her here and actually improves allot more on the character. From the get-go she seems allot more human than Rapace's interpretation. Where hers seemed more like a mystical beast of a human something that couldn't possible be so stereotypical goth like; Mara's is allot more likable. Which isn't something easy to pass on as the character isn't someone easy to feel attached to right away or even like in the end. Rooney Mara delivers a more emotional and stronger Lisbeth and I liked the character allot better here than in the film I watched two years ago.

Comparing Michael Nyqvist as Mikael Blomkvist in the original to Daniel Craig here is a dead wall. The character and portrayals in the both versions are very similar. Although here I found Craig's on screen presence actually pretty good as a writer and not an action hero. The Mikael Blomkvist character was never one that interested me wholly but acted more as a vessel for the interesting story and world he was in.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is shot beautifully even with the darker undertones through-out the film. It is entrancing to watch especially with the score and music used. It plays out and feels like something of a techno-detective mystery.

I defiantly left the film deep in thought but it wasn't about the dark and sometimes sinister film I had just watched. I was trying the think why this film is better than the original. Sure I loved Rooney Mara as Lisbeth here and the film looks and sounds so great but overall what did this version bring that the original didn't? The ending was allot better and by the end the Lisbeth-Mikael relationship was something I understood more. But other than that this stands out as a really good movie that just feels totally un-necessary.

Acting: 8.5
Writing: 8.0
Direction: 8.0
Production: 8.5

Overall: 8.0 

No comments:

Post a Comment